Avast not opening and your computer has become vulnerable to virus attacks? Don’t worry. You are not the only one who is experiencing this issue. So, keep reading this article and find out what to do if Avast won’t open on your computer.
Avast not opening; what can be the reason?
Like with any other software, Avast too can fail at times due to various reasons. Nevertheless, we list down the most common reasons behind this issue for your information. In fact, finding the exact cause behind the issue becomes very effective when solving it.
● Corrupted Avast Installation File
This can be the most common reason for Avast to stop working. The installation file of Avast can get corrupted due to various reasons so Avast won’t open anymore. However, there are effective solutions to address this issue such as repairing the installation file or clean installing.
● Avast Antivirus service has stopped running
Whenever Avast Antivirus Service stops from working, the Antivirus can start to malfunction and annoy you. In this case, the best way to solve this issue is to restart the service.
Solutions to try if Avast won’t open
Mentioned below are the solutions we can try in order to fix the “Avast won’t open” issue. Some of these solutions might sound very simple, but they are very effective in solving this issue. So, keep reading and find the best solution that addresses your situation.
Method 1: Repair the Avast installation to fix ‘Avast Won’t Open’
If there is something wrong with the Avast installation, you cannot open it or use it. As the first solution, you should try to repair the Avast installation. To do that, you should first navigate to the Control Panel and get the assistance of a repair wizard. According to our knowledge, this method has helped many individuals to get it repaired and use Avast once again. However, you should remember that this method requires you to do some tweaks to Avast’s configurations.
01. As the first step, you should ensure that you log into your computer with Administrator privileges. If you log in with a guest account, you will not be able to make any changes to Avast. So, log in to your Administrator account.
02. Now, you can click on the Start menu and launch the “Control Panel” on the system. If not, you can click on the gear-shaped icon so that it will open “Settings“. This is applicable if you have Windows 10 on your computer.
03. When you are in Control Panel, you should change its view to “Category” for your convenience. You can do that by clicking on the “View As” option. If you are using Windows 10, that’s there are “View By“. Then, you should click on the option called “Uninstall a Program” which is located under the “Programs.”
04. Are you trying to do that with the “Settings” app? If so, you will get the list of apps right after clicking on Apps.
05. You can now locate the “Avast” icon in the “Control Panel” window or “Settings” window. Then, click on the option called “Uninstall/Repair.”
06. You will see the uninstall wizard of Avast now. It will show you different options like “Update“, “Repair“, “Modify” and “Uninstall“. In this case, you should choose to “Repair” and click on “Next“. This will start fixing the installation file of Avast.
07. You will be able to see a popup message saying if you need to confirm the process. Once you confirm the action, you will see that Avast restarts itself. It will restart to a state where it worked perfectly prior to the error.
08. You can click on “Finish” once the uninstallation is completed. You can now restart the computer as well and check if the issue is gone.
By the way, what if your Discord Not Opening, don’t worry, here is the best fix for you.
Method 2: Restart “Avast Antivirus Service” to fix ‘Avast Won’t Open’
As we have already mentioned, Avast won’t open if there is something wrong with its Service. If that is the case, “Avast not opening” can be an obvious consequence in your PC. The good news, in this case, is that you can restart the services in a pretty easy manner. That means the solution is very easy to try even if you are a novice. To make it even easier, we have listed the steps down in a simple way. So, keep reading the steps below and fix the issue.
01. Go to “Run” utility on your PC. To do that, you can press “Window” + “R” keys simultaneously. Once the “Run” box opens, you can enter the text “services.msc” and hit “Enter” (or press “OK“). This will open the “Services” window.
02. Find the option called “Avast Antivirus” from the list of services. Then, you should right-click on it and choose the option called “Properties“.
03. If the services are already started, you should stop it. To do that, you should click on the button labeled “Stop,” which is located in the middle. If the services are already stopped, just leave it as it is.
04. You will be able to see an option under the menu labeled “Startup Type“. This is found in the “Properties” window of the services. It must be set to “Automatic” before moving to the other steps.
05. If you come across any dialog box, just confirm it. Now, click on the option called “Start“. When you start it, you will be able to receive an error message.
“Windows could not start the Avast Antivirus service on Local Computer. Error 1079: The account specified for this service differs from the account specified for other services running in the same process.”
If you come across this message, follow the steps mentioned below and fix it.
- First, follow steps 1, 2, and 3 from the above list. Then, go to the tab called “Log On” and click on the option called “Browse“.
- You can find an option called “Enter the object name to select“. In the field, you can enter the name of your account and hit the button called “Check Names“. Then, wait until the entered name becomes available.
- Click on “OK” once it is done. Then, enter the password on the corresponding box if it is prompted.
Method 3: Clean Install Avast to fix ‘Avast Won’t Open’
If none of the above solutions have worked for you, the next resort is to clean install Avast. For the majority of users, this solution should work. Weill the clean install is rather an easy solution to try. In fact, clean installation works better than a regular uninstallation. That is specifically because this method deletes the cache files and other registry entries that are corrupted. Mentioned below are the steps to perform in order to perform a clean install.
- Before everything else, you should download the latest Avast software version. Be sure to download it through the official website.
- In addition to that, you should download “Avast Uninstall Utility.”
- Now that the materials are ready, disconnect your computer from the internet. Then, boot the PC into Safe Mode.
- Once the computer is booted, you should start “Run” utility using the “Windows” + “R” key combination. Then, type the words “msconfig” and hit “OK.”
- Now, in the window labeled “System Configuration,” you should go to the “Boot” tab. Then, you should check the box next to “Safe Boot“. Click on “OK“. You should restart the computer now so it will boot in “Safe Mode“.
- You can run “Avast Uninstall Utility” which you have already downloaded. Then, browse for the directory where the Avast is installed. It is important to pick the correct folder if you have not installed it in the default directory.
- Now, you can choose the option called “Remove” and restart the PC. It should be booted into a normal state now. Check if Avast is working fine now.
Method 4: Disable Shields on Windows 10 OS
If you are using Windows 10 OS, the below-mentioned steps can solve the issue for you. So, if Avast not opening in your Windows 10 system, this may be a good solution to try.
- Be sure to make a right-click on the Avast icon which is located on the taskbar. If not, you can right-click on the icon on the menu as well.
- Then, go to the option called “Shields Control.” You can then choose the option called “Disable” for a short period. It is OK to choose a time around 10 minutes.
- After doing that, you should enable it using the same path. You should choose the option labeled “Enable all shields“.
- You can now check if Avast won’t open once the computer is restarted.
So, those are the solutions we have to present if Avast won’t open. As we believe, at least one of the above solutions should fix the “Avast not opening” issue. Be sure to update your Avast once it is fixed so it can catch all the latest threats. Also, if you have multiple antivirus programs installed, uninstall the others to avoid potential conflicts. Please leave a comment below explaining your thoughts about this article.