DISM error 87 is an error you may experience with the Windows operating system. In this article, we explain how to get rid of this error and use your PC normally. But before we reach into the solutions, let’s get an idea about the basics of the error.
An introduction to DISM
Well, DISM error 87 is directly related to DISM. That said, DISM stands for Deployment Image Service and Management, which is a built-in component in Windows. DISM was initially introduced with Windows 7 and Windows Server R2 versions. This service is there to perform servicing tasks related to the Windows installation image. Also, it works with online or offline images in folders or on WIM files.
In fact, DISM can become available in the command-line interface or even in Windows PowerShell. DISM tool will update the files and fix problems whenever the Windows Image cannot work. Nevertheless, when you run the DISM tool. You will see the DISM error 87 or other DISM errors. They can come with various numbers, including 2, 3, 1639, etc. with the text DISM on it.
When you see DISM error 87 or something similar, you cannot proceed. So, finding a solution to address this issue is compulsory for any Windows user.
What can trigger DISM error 87?
If truth to be told, there are multiple reasons behind this issue. Before we move forward, it is better to take a look at those reasons as well. That will give you a better idea of the issue.
01. There is something wrong with the command
This can be the most common reason that results in the DISM error 87. That means the issue can occur when the parameter is wrong. In most situations, users tend to forget to enter a space before the slash when the command is typed.
02. The command entered doesn’t run as an elevated prompt
The next common cause behind the DISM error 87 is that the command doesn’t run into an elevated prompt. If users run this command with a normal CMD window, they’ll notice the error 87 DISM.
03. The DISM version used by the machine is wrong
You may come across the DISM error 87 in case if you employ an incorrect version of DISM. This happens when applying a Windows 10 image. If that is the case, you can address this issue simply by using the right DISM version.
Now that you know what may cause the DISM error 87. Let’s learn how to fix it.
Fixing DISM error 87
Basically, there are six ways to fix DISM error 87. In this section of our article, we will explain those solutions.
In the section below, we explain all those solutions in detail. You can read the instructions carefully and learn how to fix this issue for good. Please note that you don’t have to try all those solutions. Just try one by one, and you can stop if one solution works.
Fix #1: Make use of the correct command to fix DISM Error 87
As we’ve mentioned in the above section, the DISM error 87 can occur due to an incorrect command. For instance, assume that you have input the command without space before the slash (as mentioned below).
So, to get rid of the error and use the PC back, you should rectify the command. In other words, you should type the right command. You should add the space before the slash, and the correct commands are mentioned below.
After that, you can perform a check and see if you come across the DISM error 87.
For many individuals, this simple fix may work. However, if you don’t succeed with it, proceed to the next option without worrying.
Fix #2: Run the command with Administrator Privileges to fix DISM Error 87
Some readers say that they encounter the DISM error 87 if they run the command without administrator privileges. So, to rectify the DISM error 87 in your system, attempt to run the same command as administrator. Mentioned below is how to do it.
- Enter the text “CMD” inside the search box of Windows 10. Then, you should select the best-matched option.
- Just right-click it and choose the option called “Run as administrator” to continue.
After running the CMD as an administrator, type the command to continue. Then, you should check whether the difficulty DISM error 87 is solved.
Fix #3: Use a Windows Update
The DISM error 87 could also be caused due to a pending Windows update. So, to get this error fixed, you will have to approve the potential Windows updates.
Mentioned below are the steps you should follow to Update Windows OS.
● Open Windows Update
- Press “Windows” + “I” keys simultaneously so you can open Settings.
- In the appearing pop-up window, choose the option called “Update & Security” so you can proceed.
● Check for available updates.
- Once you see the respective pop-up window, just choose the Windows Update tab.
- After that, choose to Check for Updates to continue.
Important: When the Windows Update takes place, please remember that you will have to restart the PC.
Once the mentioned steps are finished, you’ll have to run CMD as an administrator. Then, input the same command again to see whether the error 87 DISM is solved.
Fix #4: Use a System File Checker to Fix DISM Error 87
You have a big chance of encountering the DISM error 87 if there are corrupted system files. This is applicable for Windows 10/8/7. So, it is obvious that you should repair the corrupted files to address this issue.
Well, the good news is that Windows built-in tool System File Checker can be a good option. It can repair the corrupted system files with ease. To learn how to fix the corrupted system files, you should follow the steps that are mentioned below. These steps can be applied to Windows 7/8/10.
● Launch Command Prompt
- Enter the text “CMD” in the search box of Windows 10 and go for the best matching option.
- Now, right-click on it and go for the option called “Run as administrator” to proceed.
● Enter the Command to proceed
- Once the Command Line Interface appears, enter the command “sfc /scannow” and hit Enter to proceed.
- Be sure that you don’t close the respective windows until you see the message verification 100% completed.
At the completion of the steps, the corrupted files will be successfully repaired. Then open CMD with Administrator Privileges. Enter the same command again, and check whether the DISM error 87 is solved.
Important: Apart from checking and repairing the potentially corrupted system files, it is better to check for bad sectors. If there are any, just repair them.
Fix #5: Use the correct version of DISM to fix DISM Error 87
Now, if none of the above solutions have worked for you, this is the next solution to try. In this solution, we’ll walk you through the fifth solution, get DISM error 87 repaired using the correct DISM. Please note that you will have to run the Windows 10 version of DISM. That is because this version requires the Wofadk.sys filter driver to function.
Important: Please note that the Wofadk.sys filter is stored in the Windows 10 Assessment and Deployment Kit. The required driver should be installed properly configured with Windows 10 DISM. That is required when the command runs on an earlier version of Windows host or Windows Preinstallation Environment.
In order to fix DISM error 87, use the Windows 10 Version of DISM with the wofadk.sys filter driver.
Once you have done that, reboot your computer and run the command prompt. Be sure to do it with administrator privileges again. After that, enter the command to see whether the DISM error 87 is fixed successfully.
Fix #6: Install Windows once again
If none of the above options have worked for you so far, this is the last resort to try. In fact, installing a fresh copy of Windows will resolve all the issues associated with the operating system. As long as it is a software-related issue, it will definitely be fixed with Windows’s reinstallation. However, the major downside associated with this method is that it causes data loss. To avoid that, you should create a backup of all the important files. It is recommended to back up the files to an external hard drive, DVD, or a USB storage. Even if there is no error in the system, it is recommended to regularly create a data backup. That will prevent data losses due to potential crashes.
By the way, let’s learn more about how to reset admin password Windows 10 effortlessly.
Things you should do after fixing DISM error 87
Now that you have fixed the “DISM error 87” error, it is useful to know the actions afterward. The best advice is that it is strongly recommended to make a system image. As a result of doing it, you have the opportunity to restore your computer to an earlier (working) state. That would be handy if you experience the same issue.
Apart from that, it becomes handy if you encounter some other issues associated with the OS. In that case, you will be able to restore the computer to a state where it was working fine.
With that said, do you know the easiest way to create a system image? Well, the most effective and the best way in the market is to use ShadowMaker. This tool is presented by MiniTool. MiniTool ShadowMaker is considered to be a piece of professional backup software which is specializing in backing up disks. It is exceptionally useful in creating backups of partitions, files, folders, and the OS.
In addition to the features as mentioned above, it features a clone tool. Such a tool becomes very handy to clone OS from HDD to SSD WITHOUT DATA LOSS.
So, with those numerous features, you may download MiniTool ShadowMaker through their official website.
If you have downloaded the software, you can read the following guide. In this guide, we explain the ways to create a backup of your PC.
● Open Launch MiniTool ShadowMaker
- First, you should MiniTool ShadowMaker and install it on the PC.
- Get it opened.
- Click on the option called “Keep Trial” to continue.
- Select the option called “Connect in This Computer” to proceed.
● Choose the source to create the backup
- You will see that MiniTool ShadowMaker chooses the OS by default to be the backup source. So, there’s no need for you to choose the same option again.
- However, some like to choose the backup by themselves. If that is the case, you can select the backup source by yourself without much trouble. You should go to the Backup page. Click on the “Source module,” and choose Disk and Partitions to pick the system disk to continue. (If you would like to copy files, choose Folders and Files instead).
● Select a destination to save the backup
- oAfter landing on the backup page, please click the Destination module so you can select a backup destination.
- You will find five available paths: Administrator, Libraries, Computer, Network, and Shared folder. We suggest you save the created backups in an external disk. That should be considered as a precautionary method. So, all you should do is click Computer and choose an external disk drive. Then, click on ok to continue.
There are three important points;
- MiniTool ShadowMaker allows you to create backups on a daily basis. Just click the Schedule button, which is located at the bottom so you can proceed.
- Apart from the backup options, MiniTool ShadowMaker comes with three different backup schemes as well. Click Scheme and change the option.
- Moreover, you can configure some advanced backup parameters when you are creating a backup—for instance, encrypting backup files.
● Start creating a backup
- Once you have selected the backup source and destination, click Backup up Now to immediately perform the backup task.
- If not, click on the option called “Backup up Later” and postpone the backup.
Once you have done that, you’ve got successfully created a system image. Thanks to this technique image, you’ll feel relax even if you experience DISM error 87.
It can be said that MiniTool ShadowMaker is a very effective and powerful tool. With this software, your PC and its data are safe.
01. What are the fixes for DISM error 87?
- Make use of the correct command
- Run the command with Administrator Privileges
- Perform a Windows Update
- Using a System File Checker
- Use the correct version of DISM
- Install Windows once again
02. What does “DISM” mean?
DISM is the abbreviation for Deployment Image Service and Management. It is a Windows built-in tool which is required to perform some service and prepare Windows image. That is including the web or offline image within a folder or WIM file. Apart from that, it helps you in mounting and unmounting images, querying installed device drivers in an offline image. Also, it can help you in adding device drivers to offline images.
03. How to fix corrupted files on Windows?
- Launch command prompt with Administrator Privileges.
- Then, enter the command sfc /scannow. Then, you should hit Enter to continue.
- Wait for the process to be completed so the corrupted files will be repaired.
Conclusion on How to Fix DISM Error 87
This article has explained what the DISM is and the possible reasons behind the DISM error 87. In addition to that, we walked through 6 solutions in this article to overcome DISM error 87.