iPhone 7 or iPhone 6S Plus is one of the ever best smartphones in our lives, with which you can experience a fluent process, advanced features, and interesting apps. Although iPhone 6S is good enough, you cannot avoid corruptions that would freeze your iPhone thus stop working. When such an accident happens, you must be quite worried and want to run off to a service to fix it immediately. In fact, you can fix your iPhone by yourself with the reset solution, through which you can bring your device back to a perfect activity again. Once start the Reset feature, your device will be a brand new one since all files including photos, songs and apps will all be erased from your device. In addition to files, your device will return to its original settings, too. That’s to say, you can erase all data completely and start your device as a new one with the factory reset feature.
Here I will show you 4 methods to factory reset your iPhone 7 or iPhone 6S Plus. Please take a look of each solution carefully and choose the most suitable one accordingly. Also, click to learn on “Reset All Settings iPhone, how to restore iPhone without updating as well as how to unlock iPhone 6S Plus.
Note: To different purpose, you need to choose different solutions accordingly. Here is a recommendation to you.
- 1) If you plan to use your iPhone 7/ 6S Plus continually, you are recommended to try solution 1 and solution 2 since your files are not deleted completely.
- 2) If you decide to donate, sell or give your device away, we recommend you try solution 3 since all data will be erased completely and cannot be recovered anymore. In the case, even professional program such as Wondershare Dr.Fone for iOS cannot help you. Please keep in mind that it’s quite dangerous to leave files on your device if you decide to give it to others.
Note: Since the files saved on your iPhone 7 / 6S Plus should be very precious for you, you’d better backup these files before you conduct anything. Here are two methods to backup your files:
- 1) Transfer files from old phone to new iPhone 7 / 6S Plus: to transfer text messages, contacts, music, photos and videos from old phone to your new iPhone 6S / 6S Plus, you can try dr.fone – Phone Transfer to complete the task.
- 2) Backup files from iPhone 7 / 6S Plus to iTunes/iCloud: after backup files to your iTunes or iCloud, you can extract these files from backup whenever you need with the rogram such as dr.fone – iOS Data Recovery.
Step 1. Firstly, you’d better backup your files if they are important so that you can get these apps, music and photos back later.
Step 2.Once backup files successfully, please turn to the Settings app and scroll down to bring up the General menu. Then just tap it. In the new screen, please click on the Reset menu at bottom of the screen.
Step 3. You can now see a screen that shows you various kinds of factory reset options. Please check each one carefully and choose the best one. Just tap it to factory reset the files you selected.
Step 4. Now you can see a pop-up window and warns you that you are erasing all data. And you can see choices of Cancel or Erase iPhone.
Since it will take you about one minute to complete the task, please wait patiently for the reset. After the task, you will get a brand new iPhone without any data in your device.
Developed by Apple, iTunes is a very useful tool to restore your iPhone. Through iTunes, you can erase all data in your device so that your device will be a brand new one. Also, you’d better make sure that you have the latest updated version of iTunes and all important files are backed up before you factory reset your smart device.
Step 1. To start with, you should connect your iPhone 7 / 6S to the computer via a USB cable. Just wait for a few seconds; iTunes will start to detect it immediately.
Step 2. When your iPhone 7 / 6S is displayed in iTunes, just click to choose it. You can then see the button Restore, just click on it to confirm the factory reset.
Step 3. Now, please wait patiently until your iPhone 7 / 6S is restored. The process will take you a few minutes.
After finishing the 3 steps above, you now get your iPhone 7 / 6S Plus just like a new one and all data is erased.
Solution 3. Factory Reset iPhone X/ 8 / 7 / 6S Plus through Find My iPhone on iCloud (when your iPhone is lost)
If you have lost your iPhone and want to erase all data to avoid privacy leak, solution 3 is the best recommendation to you. With the help of the Find My iPhone app, you can reset your iPhone 7 / 6S to the factory through iCloud so that nobody can get access to your data anymore. At the very beginning, you should ensure that you have enabled the Find My iPhone on your iPhone X / 8 / 7 / 6S through Settings > iCloud > Find My iPhone.
Step 1. To start with, please open your web browser and bring up the iCloud.com. Then please log in with your Apple ID.
Step 2. In the window of iCloud, please click on Find My iPhone and click on All Devices at top of the new window. You will then see a drop down list, please choose the name of your device.
Step 3. After selecting your device, you are given 3 options: Play Sound, Lost Mode, or Eraser iPhone. Here please choose the third one – Erase iPhone. Your device will be set to factory settings a few minutes later.
Solution 4. Reset iPhone X / 8 / 7 / 6S Plus to Factory Settings Completely with Third Party Tool (the safest way)
Through the 3 solutions above, you can delete files on your iPhone device so that others cannot get your private data. However, you should know that some data just become invisible and still exist on your device even after factory resetting with iCloud and iTunes. With third recovery tool such as dr.fone for iPhone Data Recovery, these invisible data can be recovered easily. If the 3 solutions cannot meet your demand and you want to erase data completely, you can turn to third-party recovery tools, such as the dr.fone – Data Eraser.
Since it is so horrible if other people get your private data, you’d better erase data on your iPhone completely if you decide to sell or give your device to others. I recommend you try dr.fone – iOS Erase strongly. Here are detailed steps to erase data on your iPhone 7 / 6S device completely with help of the tool.
Step 1. Download and install dr.fone
To start with, you need to download the program and install it on your computer. Here you can try the free trial version of the dr.fone before you purchase it. Then please connect your device to computer via a USB cable. The program will detect your device automatically and show it in the starting window.
Step 2. Choose Type of Data and Erasing Level
Now in the starting window, please choose ERASE ALL DATA if you want to empty your device completely. Then you can see a new window that shows you 3 erasing levels, we recommend you to choose Medium level here. You can also choose Low and High. Then click Start to continue.
Step 3. Factory Reset your iPhone XS / XR / X / 8 / 7 / 6S automatically
After clicking Start, the program will start to work for you automatically. During the process, all your files including text messages, photos, call logs, call history, apps, contacts, videos, music files, settings, wallpaper, and Apple ID will be removed from your iPhone completely. After the process, you can find a brand new iPhone. Now, you don’t need to worry about data leak any more since no one can recover these files even with a recovery tool.
In regular cases, you don’t need to complete all data, however, you do need to do so to some particular circumstances. Here are some typical cases below:
1) You decide to sell your iPhone X / 8 / 7 / 6S in market and don’t want to leak privacy. In this case, you definitely need to factory reset your device completely so that others cannot get access to your data.
2) You want to remove apps and don’t want to leave any information. In the case, since factory reset is very useful to clean out your device if you have installed too many apps, you need to conduct so especially when your iPhone is frozen.
3) Your device needs to be reset eagerly. Sometimes, you may encounter conditions that the phone tell you from itself for a reset. You may see some messages such as “The process could not be completed.”, if so, you will need a factory reset to help you since your iPhone device is overworked.