Unless you have a separate password manager, keeping track of your difficult passwords can be an unnerving experience. You can easily forget them or get confused.
If you forgot your Instagram password, you could not really regain the lost password; however, you have the chance to recover your account with the help of an Instagram password reset into something easier to remember.
For cases like you have forgotten your Instagram password or someone else might have changed it without your knowledge, Instagram offers a very straightforward way to recover it.
But, remember that what we have here is a way to recover your password if you forgot your Instagram password; changing your old password to something different is another method altogether.
What is Instagram, and What is It Used For?
Instagram is a popular photo and video-sharing social network site that is currently owned by Facebook. At first, only the iOS version of the app was available; it was only after the acquisition by Mike Krieger and Kevin Systrom that an Android app of the same was developed.
Instagram allows its users to upload videos & photos to its platform. The pictures and videos can be edited via several diverse filters, as well as tagged with information similar to Facebook. You can also share your content with the world or choose to keep them private among your friends.
Besides, if you forgot the Samsung Galaxy password, these are just for you.
Instagram Password Reset from the Instagram Web Page
First, you need to head over to Instagram’s main website and click on the login button. You will be redirected to the next page where you can see the Forgot Password button underneath the login field.
Next, you should type in your phone number, email, or username that you used when you first set up your account. After you pass the security check, you need to click on the Reset Password button.
An email will be sent to the registered email address that will include a link for resetting your password. Once you receive the mail, click on the Reset password button.
Type in your new password (make it strong and easy to remember) and type it once again for confirmation. Once done, please click on the Reset Password button once more. Next, you will be signed in automatically and redirected to your Instagram feed.
Instagram Password Reset from the Instagram App
Resetting your Instagram forgot password from Instagram is quite simple as well. For our example, we have used the Android app; however, the steps are almost the same for iOS devices as well.
- You need first to start the Instagram app and then click on the ‘Get Help Signing In‘ link located at the bottom of the sign-in page.
- Please go to the next page where you will have to type in your phone number, username, and email that you used to create your account, and then click on Next.
- Instagram will then show you your options of signing in – via email, SMS, username, or using Facebook for login. Here, we will be going through the email message, but the SMS option looks almost the same.
- If you choose the email option, you will be sent an email from Instagram that can be used to sign up. In this message, you will have to tap on the Log In As option; as an alternative, you can also tap on the Instagram password reset link. Both will redirect you to a password reset page.
- Here, you can type in the new password (something strong and easy to remember) and then click on the Reset Password button. You now can sign in and be redirected to the Instagram feed.
Besides, if you are looking for the best Instagram tracker apps, here you are.
Instagram Password Reset Common Ways
Method 1: Using Instagram Username for an Instagram Password Reset
As mentioned above, Instagram offers four different methods to reset your Instagram forgot password. Apart from the email, there are still three more left. You can use the username of your Instagram account to reset your password.
You can then follow the steps below to recover your password or set up a new one:
- 1: First, tap on your Instagram app icon to launch the app on your smartphone device.
- 2: Once you hit the main page, you need to click on the Get Help Signing In link at the bottom of the page.
- 3: Tap on the Forgot your login details and then select the ‘Use Username or Email‘ option
- 4: Here, you should enter the username of your Instagram account & tap on Next.
- 5: Then, you should click on the Send an Email option; once done, you will receive a reset link on your associated email address. You should open your email account and check out the mail sent by Instagram. Here, you need to click on Reset Your Instagram Password.
- 6: Enter your new password and tap on Reset Password. This will change the password of the Instagram account.
Method 2: Using Phone Number for Instagram Password Reset
Most people may not know this, but Instagram also allows you to reset your Instagram forgot password with only your phone number as well.
If you have a phone number linked to your Instagram account, you are able to make use of the same to recover your forgotten Instagram password.
You can follow the below steps that will help you reset your Instagram password with just your phone number:
- 1: You need to open the Instagram app and click on the Get Help Signing In button. Here, you need to choose the Send an SMS option and then enter your linked phone number.
- 2: You need to click on Next, after which you will receive a text message with an Instagram password reset link. From your phone’s messaging app, you need to click on the message and open the link sent by Instagram. This link will redirect you to the password reset page.
- 3: Here, you have to type down your password twice & tap on the Reset Password to reset your forgotten Instagram password.
Method 3: Using Facebook for Instagram Password Reset
many people make use of Facebook to reset their Instagram forgotten passwords. If you want to reset your password with the help of Facebook, you can follow the below steps:
- 1: Head over to the Sign In page of Instagram and choose the option Log In With Facebook.
- 2: Here, you will have to log into your Facebook account to verify your identity; once done, you can reset your password from your Instagram account.
- 3: Here, you can change the password of your Instagram account from within the app itself.
Method 4: Restoring Instagram Account Without Using an Email Address
If you forgot your email address and your account is not linked to your Facebook profile or phone number, you can start by trying to change the email address.
However, you will need to contact the Instagram support team and report the loss of your email ID. Once you do this, you will be able to regain access to your Instagram account.
What Happens if You Enter the Wrong Instagram Password Too Many Times?
There are incidents where you know what your Instagram forgot password is, but you cannot exactly point your finger at it; you end up typing the wrong password several times. Sadly, Instagram will only give you so many attempts.
When you try to log into your account too many times, Instagram will lock out your account temporarily. A notification will appear on your screen, asking you to send a text to your phone number registered to your Instagram account. You can then verify your account via that text message.
How Do You Do Instagram Password Reset if You Were Using a Fake Email Address?
While it might be possible to create an Instagram password with the help of a fake email address, you cannot use the same email to log into your Instagram account.
The policies set by Instagram are crystal clear – you will not be allowed to change the password of your Instagram account if you are unable to provide personal details like a valid phone number or email address.
Hence, if you cannot remember your Instagram password and used a fake email address to create one, you will not be able to reset your account password.
Are you still not able to sign in to your Instagram account? Have you forgotten your primary email address too? Here are some common problems faced by other readers:
Why Didn’t I Receive an Email from Instagram?
If you have not yet received an email from Instagram, you need to be patient and wait for a few minutes. If you still not have got an email from Instagram in the last 10 minutes, you should check your internet connection.
Additionally, you can also check other folders in your email pages like promotions and the spam folder.
Be sure to check into all potential folders of your email account. If you still did not find it, you may have to reset your spam filter, head back to Instagram, and put request a new email address.
What Should I Do if I Forgot Instagram Password and My Email Address?
This should not be a serious problem. If you cannot remember your email address, hopefully, you can remember your phone number, your Facebook account linked to your Instagram, or your username. You can try to reset your password with a phone number or Facebook account.
Instagram is one of the top social media sites alongside Facebook and Twitter boasting more than a million registered users around the world.
Most of these users make use of a separate password for their Instagram accounts, and forgetting them will not allow these users to log into their accounts. Therefore, you will see a lot of queries similar to ‘I forgot Instagram password, how do I recover it?’, etc.
If you are one of these users, you can go through this article that will help you reset your Instagram account password.