When your Gmail notifications not working, that could be really annoying. As a result, you don’t have a way to know if you have received any emails through notifications. In that case, you will have to keep your inbox open all the time. Needless to say, staring at your inbox all the time is a pretty annoying task. So, fixing this issue as soon as possible is very important.
If you see Gmail notifications not working, don’t be alarmed. In fact, you are not alone because this issue is experienced by many users across the globe. So, continue reading this guide and learn how to fix it.
Reasons why Gmail notifications not working on my phone
There are several reasons for Gmail notifications to stop working. For some users, this issue can trigger due to a system bug. If not, the issue can trigger due to a bug on the Gmail app itself. Also, some users experience this issue just because they have turned off the notifications. In addition to that, it can occur when some system optimization process is going on in the background. Regardless of the reason, fixing this issue is exceptionally important for any user who deals with emails constantly. You can try the solutions we explain below and overcome this issue without much hassle.
Fix 1: Check if you have disabled in-app notifications and system notifications
It is always better to start with the most basic solution. Some users experience this issue simply because the notifications are turned off. Both Gmail and your Android smartphone have notifications. If you have turned them off accidentally, you won’t receive any of those notifications. Also, those notifications can be disabled due to a minor glitch. So, it is best to check for those settings before moving into advanced solutions. You can follow the steps mentioned below and check if everything is alright with notifications.
- First, you should launch the Gmail app on your smartphone.
- Then, please tap on the icon that appears like a hamburger to open “Settings.”
- You can then choose the option called “General Settings.”
- Tap on the option called “Manage Notifications.”
- Be sure that you enable everything under that menu.
- You should open the option called “Mail” under the “Gmail Address.” Check if those notifications are enabled. After that, you should reboot the smartphone and check if the Gmail notifications not working problem is solved.
Besides Gmail Notifications Not Working, here is the best Gmail account recovery for your reference.
Fix 2: Add Gmail to Whitelist on the ongoing system optimization
Many of the OEMs today run system optimizations in order to prolong the battery life of the device. As per this system optimization process, many of the background apps will be disabled automatically. If this is the case, your device’s notifications will probably be disabled.
This optimization program is introduced to offer a better battery life, specifically when the device is in idle mode. But, as we all know, push notifications related to your Gmail is very important. So, it is always better to check if your device has such an optimization process running. What you should know is that the procedure will differ from one brand to another. For instance, the process with a Samsung device is different from a Huawei device.
Fix 3: Check if the device has accurate time settings to fix Gmail Notifications Not Working
The time configurations on your device are important to receive notifications correctly. If the notifications aren’t properly set, you should correct them accordingly. What we suggest is to use the automatic time-zone settings so the problem will be fixed. Moreover, having the correct time configurations is a prerequisite for many of the apps. With that said, mentioned below is how to enable the automatic time settings on your Android device.
- Go to the “Settings” app and choose the option called “System.”
- Then, go to “Date & Time.”
- You should make sure that you enable the options “Use Network-provided time” and “Use network-provided time zone.”
Now, check if the issue is gone. If the problem persists, just move to the next solution.
By the way, if you wonder How to Sync Gmail in Thunderbird, this guide is just for you.
Fix 4: Grant the permissions Gmail requires to fix ‘Gmail Notifications Not Working’
If any of the above solutions were not able to fix the issue, let’s try this one. As per this method, you should first set Gmail as the default emailing app on your device. In addition to that, you should make sure that it starts automatically with the system. One might say that it is not that essential to set Gmail as the default mailing app. But, to overcome this issue, we should give it a try.
As we have noticed, plenty of Samsung users have experienced this issue with Gmail. For many of them, the above-mentioned configuration change has helped, so if you want to set Gmail as the default mailing app, here’s how to do it.
- Launch the “Settings” app on your device.
- Then, choose the option called “Apps” and tap on “App Manager” as well. Please note that this option can even appear as “Manage Apps” or “All Apps” on different OEMs.
- Now, you should locate the Gmail app and open it.
- Choose the option called “Permissions” to proceed.
- In this case, you should grant all the permissions that are required to fix the issue.
- Now you should go to the list of apps that are displayed on the screen. You can tap on the 3-dot icon and launch the option called “Default Apps.”
- You can then set “Gmail” to be the default email app.
Once you have followed all of the above steps, check if the issue is gone. If Gmail notifications not working yet, move to the next solution.
Fix 5: Enable Synchronization to fix ‘Gmail Notifications Not Working’
For many individuals, this option might sound like a no brainer. However, a significant number of individuals tend to disable Gmail synchronization on their devices unintentionally. If Gmail synchronization is disabled on your device, you will not notice any Gmail notifications on it. So, the only (and the simplest) way to address this issue is to enable the synchronization once again. Also, it is important to have this solution learned as it might become handy at any given time. That said, mentioned below is the step-by-step guide to enable Gmail synchronization once again.
- As the first step, you should go to the “Settings” option on your Android device.
- Then, you should choose the option called “Accounts & Sync.”
- You can then ensure that the Auto-sync data option is active.
- Choose the option called “Google” to proceed.
- Locate the option called “Gmail” and check if the sync for Gmail is activated.
Now, check if your Gmail notifications work as expected.
Fix 6: Clear the cache and data of the Gmail app
This is another solution you can try if Gmail notifications not working even after all those fixes. Clearing cache (how to clear the cache on iPhone) and data will necessarily reset the Gmail app. However, if you have configured a non-Gmail address with the Gmail app, you should reconfigure it. With that said, mentioned below is how to proceed with clearing cache and data.
- Launch “Settings” and choose “Apps.”
- Go to “All Apps” and choose “Gmail.”
- Choose “Storage.”
- Now, clear the cache. After that, you should clear the data as well.
- Restart the respective Android device.
Fix 7: Update your Gmail app and firmware
If you are yet to succeed, try updating the Gmail app. In addition to that, you should update the firmware of your Android device to solve Gmail notifications not working errors. Updating apps and firmware to their latest versions is always a good move due to various reasons. In general, your Android OS and apps are supposed to update automatically. But it is always better to check for those updates manually. Here’s how to do it.
- Go to Play Store first and search for the app “Gmail.”
- If you see an update, just install it.
- Go to “Settings” and choose “System.”
- If there is an update, install it to proceed.
Fix 8: Sign out and Sign in to your Google account
This is the last resort you can rely on. Just sign out of your Google account on the device and sign in to it once again.
- Go to “Settings” and choose “Accounts & Sync.”
- Then, choose “Google.”
- Go to the bottom menu and choose to remove the account.
- Restart the phone and add the account once again.
So, those are the solutions you should try if Gmail notifications not working on your Android device. Do you know any other ways to solve it? Please share your knowledge with us.