Imagine being in an unknown city for a trip, and you are starting for a place only to find out the Google maps not working on Android. Yes, that can be scary. One of the very useful apps provided by the tech giant Google is Google Maps, which is an amazing navigation tool helpful in many other ways too. Given its resourcefulness, malfunctioning of the app can pose to be a great problem for the users.
It’s the issue that we aim to fix for you in this article. We will be giving you a list of the best methods that you can use to troubleshoot the Google maps not working Android problem.
The app Google Maps can be rightly considered an amazing innovation as it provides web-based map services on your Smartphone that tell you the right direction as you enable the location settings. The GPS stopping abruptly can be the worst nightmare for you when being at an unfamiliar place. There can be many reasons that can be attributed to the issue of Google maps not working on Android.
Knowing some of them will help you better find the right fix.
- App crashing: Google maps crashing many times after you launch it, which involves the app closing immediately or after a few seconds.
- Maps load slowly: It may take much more time for the app to open and cause disturbance to the users.
- Showing wrong locations: There occur many instances when the Google maps app stops showing the correct directions to any particular place or even shows the wrong location.
- App going blank: The Google maps going all blank can be the most annoying issue when you are on your way to somewhere.
The very reason for these problems happening can be many, including network connection issues or the GPS going haywire. Not just that, even a bug in the app can be said to have caused the problem.
How to Fix the Google maps not working Android issue?
Here is a list of the trusted methods that will help you regain access to uninterrupted Google map services:
1. Empty the cache and data of Map app
This will be the best step to start with, as it involves the internal cleaning of the app. You need to remove a large amount of data and web cache that gets piled-up locally with the app. This pre-loaded information may get corrupted when stored for a very long time. Deleting this can solve many issues at once:
It can be done by following these steps:
- Open the Settings.
- Click on the option Apps.
- Click on All apps/App manager/Manage apps.
- Locate Google Maps and open it.
- Click on Storage.
- Click on options Clear Data and then Clear Cache. Confirm the commands.
Also, click here to find out how to enable Grindr fake GPS with ease.
2. Re-inspect the essentials- location and network
The efficient working of Google Maps depends on two things – uninterrupted internet connection and proper location settings. You may need to check the Bluetooth or GPS settings of your phone if Maps are getting full access to them or not. The cellular network or Wi-Fi connection to the phone needs to be stable. You can use the offline maps too, but they are not that great for the limited help they give.
If you are unsure as to what can be the reason for the Google maps not working, we suggest you follow given instructions:
- Check if the Location setting is on in the device. Also, see if location access is permitted to the Google maps app.
- Go to the Location settings. Click on the Use assisted GPS to enable it.
- To reset the network connection, reboot the Wi-Fi router. You may also check the proper configuration of the APN for your Mobile data.
- You can also reset the Network Settings.
3. Troubleshooting GPS
Any glitch in the GPS can make it store the wrong locations. This not only effects the Maps app but every other service that uses the GPS. Malfunctioning GPS causes the Maps to crash all the time as it cannot fetch the right locations anymore. Follow the given steps to restore its working:
- Go to the Play Store. Search for any third-party applications like GPS Status and Toolbox that can help reset the GPS info. Download it.
- Now tap anywhere on the main interface to open Menu. Select the option Manage A- GPS state. Now tap on Reset.
- Once finished, go back to the Manage A- GPS state. Hit the option Download.
4. Fix the Google Map app
There are two ways of fixing the app if nothing else worked; you can either update the app or install an older version.
1. Re-installing the app
- Go to the play store.
- Select the app Google Maps and uninstall it. Re-install the app.
- Go to the left panel and select My app and games. Select on Google maps. Open it and then tap on Update.
- Now reboot the device to fix Google maps not working.
2. Get an older app version
Installing an older version or APK of the maps can help too. You need to go through the steps:
- Uninstall the app.
- Go to the browser. Search for any APK Mirror or any such APK-aggregate website online.
- Download any APK version, which should be less than two months old.
- Install it, and you are done.
Some other fixes include installing or updating the Google Play Services to the latest version. Just go to the Play store app, find Play Services, and hit the update option. These services let the apps operate smoothly, and it’s important to ensure their proper updating. You can also try Google Maps Go, which is a lighter alternative.
5. One-click fix to the Google maps not working Android: dr.fone – System Repair (Android)
Many firmware issues can be the possible reason for the maps app crashing, loading slow, or not working at all. The firmware that you downloaded may have got corrupted, which is why the issues keep happening. However, we have got the best fix for you, which is dr.fone – System Repair (Android) software. It targets the firmware issues, and the Android system bugs and remedies them with just a click. This tool leads the domain of Android repairing with the best of ease.
Let’s have a look at dr.fone – System Repair (Android) features:
- Very simple user interface aptly for everyone including beginners or experienced ones
- Repair a variety of problems with different apps like crashing, apps not loading, or slowing down, etc.
- Supports 1000+ Android models
- No technical expertise needed to run the software
- Safe to operate and reliable
- Ensures a virus-free operation
- Compatible with Windows PC
How to use dr.fone- System Repair (Android) for fixing the Google maps not working?
You need to follow these instructions:
1. Download the dr.fone software on your computer. Install it. Once you are finished with the set-up, launch open the software. Now, you will be on the first screen. Out of the many options, click on the button “System Repair.”
2. Now you need to attach the Android device to the computer. This can be done with the help of a USB cord. Once you connect both of them, hit the option Android Repair. You can find that option on the next screen in the left panel.
3. The next step will require you to select the device on the PC. You will need to select the details of your Android device like the brand, name of the phone model, location of the phone, or the career that you use. Verify all the info. Once you are done entering, click on the option Next.
4. Now you need to download the firmware. You won’t need to perform this manually as you just need to follow the instruction as they appear on the screen. Your device will go into the download phase automatically. It detects the target firmware and starts to download it automatically.
5. Once the software finishes downloading the firmware, wait for a minute. The tool is fixing the Android system. Once you receive the information, click on Done.
6. Check if the issue is resolved.
We hope that this article helped you with the Google maps not working and navigate you again smoothly. The tool dr.fone is going to be much helpful, along with the traditional fixes. Make your way through these methods, and don’t forget to share your experience or any new solution that you might know.