When Google Play services keep stopping, you cannot necessarily download an app through it. Many of our Android-using readers have mentioned that they have experienced this issue at least a couple of times. So, in this guide, let’s explain how to overcome this issue and use Google Play smoothly once again.
As you already know, Google Play is one of the most important elements of the Android OS. In fact, you cannot download or update any app if Google Play services keep stopping. So, knowing how to address this issue is exceptionally important for those who expect smooth performance from their smartphones. If you have experienced this issue, continue reading and learn how to solve it.
Solutions you can try if Google Play services keep stopping
In fact, there can be several reasons for Google Play (Google Play App Download) services to stop all of a sudden. One of the most common reasons behind this issue is data corruption. However, that’s not the only reason behind this error. Regardless of the reason, however, the good news is that it is possible to solve it. So, if your Google Play services keep stopping, try the solutions listed below and get it fixed.
Method 01: Clear data on the Google Play Services and Play Store
One of the simplest but very effective ways to troubleshoot any app is clearing cache and data. This solution is applicable to both third-party apps and system services. With this simple method, you can fix a variety of issues that were caused due to corrupted cache files. In fact, you should know that a corrupted cache is a pretty common instance. By clearing cache (how to clear cache on iPhone) you can reset the app and get rid of all the corrupted cache.
In general, like with any other app, Google Play Services collects data as you use the app. The amount of data can eventually grow into a massive chunk, and the files can often corrupt. With that said, please follow up below simple guide in order to clear the cache.
- Go to the “Settings” app on your device.
- Then, choose the option called “Apps.”
- After that, you should launch the option “App Manager” and choose “Manage Apps.” If not, it will appear as “All Apps” depending on the OEM available on the device.
- When you are there, you should tap on the icon that appears as three dots.
- Then, you should enable all the system processes (fix it if your process system isn’t responding issue on your Android). Doing so will add hidden system apps and services to the existing app list.
- Once you have done that, you can locate the option called Google Play Services. Just open it to proceed.
- Tap on the option called “Storage” as well.
- As the final step, you should clear cache and data.
- Follow the same steps with Google Play Store as well.
- Reboot the device. And see if it works.
Besides, let’s figure out how to fix the Google Play error checking for updates issue effortlessly.
Method 02: Uninstall the updates for Google Play Services
As you know, you cannot reinstall apps such as Google Play Services because they are system apps. However, you can factory reset those apps to their default settings. To do that, you should simply uninstall the updates that might have been installed. Those who don’t know how to do it can follow the steps mentioned below.
- Go to the “Settings” app and choose “Apps.” Then, go to “All Apps” and choose “Google Play Services.”
- Now, tap on “Uninstall Updates.”
- Confirm your action once prompted and reboot the device.
Once the device is rebooted, check if Google Play services keep stopping. If it does, move on to the next method.
Method 03: Clear the data of Google Services Framework
As per this method, you should pay attention to another system service of Google. Namely, it is Google Services Framework. In fact, Google Services Framework is an essential component related to Android OS. This component is directly related to all the services that run under Android OS. Therefore, any issue related to Google Services Framework can affect other applications on the OS. So, fixing the potential errors pertaining to Google Services Framework is a good move. However, you cannot necessarily reinstall this service because it is a system app. But you can still clear its cache and data to see if it does any good. Mentioned below is how to clear the data of Google Services Framework.
- Go to the option called “Settings” and then go to “Apps.”
- Choose the option called “All Apps” and then navigate to “Google Services Framework” to proceed.
- Tap on the option called “Storage.”
- Now, you should clear “cache,” and then you should clear the “Data” as well.
- Once you have done that, just restart the device to see if the issue is solved.
Method 04: Get an APK of Google Play Services installed
If none of the above methods have done the trick for you, you can try this method as well. As per this method, you will have to download a third-party APK on your device. You can find one of those programs through a third-party APK. In fact, you will have to download an older version of Google Play services. You can install and APK of Google Play Services using the instructions mentioned below.
- First, you should go to a website through which you can download apps for sideloading.
- After that, you should search for Google Play Services. You can choose the latest version of this app or an older version of it. However, we recommend an older version (but it should not be older than two months).
- You can download the chosen APK now and run it on your Android device. When prompted, you should grant the required permission (allow “install apps from untrusted sources“) to proceed. This is required to install apps from third-party sources.
- Now, install the Google Play services and check if you can notice any improvement.
Method 05: Perform a factory reset on your device
If none of the above steps have worked, the last resort you can rely on is a factory reset. If you perform a factory reset, all the configurations of the device will be set to its default settings. The changes you have made to the device since your purchase will be erased. You can start from scratch as if you bought the device just now after a factory reset. All the accounts will be deleted, apps will be gone, and the OS will remain with the default apps. Many Android users trust this method to overcome various issues associated with their devices. After a factory reset, the device will get rid of all the corrupted files and misconfigurations. Also, if the device has any malware infections, those will be gone after the reset. That is why Android devices tend to work smoother and faster after a factory reset ( here are 7 suggestions to make Android run faster).
However, performing a factory reset is associated with one major drawback.
- It will delete all the data on your Android device (top 3 Android data eraser software)
. The photos, contacts, SMS, videos, recordings, and everything else saved on the device will be gone. So, before the device is reset, we strongly recommend you to create a backup of the data.
Mentioned below are the steps you should follow to factory reset your Android device. These steps are simple to follow. As we know, it is a very effective solution to try if Google Play services keep stopping. The only drawback is data loss, but you can overcome it simply by creating a backup.
- First, you should go to the option called “Settings” on your Android device.
- Then, you should tap on the option labeled “System.”
- Tap on the option called “Backup & Reset” as well to proceed to the next step.
- Now, choose the option labeled “Erase all data (factory reset).”
- A message will appear to confirm your action. You should tap on the option called “Erase all data” to confirm this action.
That’s it. Your device should perform well now, and you won’t see Google Play services keeps stopping anymore. However, if you still see the error, you should take the faulty device to an authorized technician.
Well, those are the solutions you should try if Google Play services keep stopping on your device. Do you have any other queries related to this topic? If so, just post your queries as comments below so our experts will attend to them soon.