While preparing a video for your class or work presentation, adding some kind of narration within the video adds a lot of adroitness to work. There are a lot of reasons why you need to place some text over your video. With the help of iMovie for your iPhone and Mac devices, there are a lot of different possibilities like adding credits to the end of the video, lowering the placement of the texts/subtitles, adding a standard heading, etc. So, how to add text to iMovie? iMovie will definitely help you add texts to a video and is considered one of the top-ranking when it comes to this job. In this article, we will go through some ways that will teach you how to add text in iMovie for your both iOS and Mac devices.
Once you drag the media files to iMovie’s timeline, you can simply follow the steps mentioned below to know how to add text in iMovie on your Mac device:
- You can begin by clicking on the Text button that will show you the list of different text slides and styles.
- Once you select your text slide from the list, you can drag the icon down to the timeline of the project. Here, you can either keep it as a standalone within the slide or simply add it as a layer.
- You need to double click within the viewer interface to enable the edit mode; here you can change the text to whatever you want. After doing so, you can choose among many different fonts and then click on the Done button to save the changes.
- You can double click on the timeline to open the text inspector and place the transition and change its attributes. And it’s done! Now, you know how to add text to iMovie successfully.
- Note: If you are using some other version of iMovie, like the one I use on my Mac is iMovie 10.1.8, you might notice that the steps of adding texts to the videos might seem a bit different in each one of them. After you load the media into the timeline, you need to place the cursor to the place where you want to add the texts and then switch to the Title tab. Once you do this, you will see different Titles Presets available to you. Here, you can add some scrolling credits, Lower Third, standard titles, and much more by simply dragging and dropping them into the timeline. You will also have the option of changing or adding effects like how long the text effect will last and adjust the duration of the texts according to your requirements. Just one inconvenience is that there is no possible way to adjust the position of the text manually.
While the part of adding texts into your movie in a Mac might seem a bit complicated, doing so in an iPhone with iMovie is quite easy. You can watch the tutorial video below that can help you learn how to add text to iMovie in your iPhone device step-by-step:
You can also refer to the steps mentioned below to know how to add text in iMovie on your iPhone:
- First, start the iMovie app in your iPhone and add the video where you want to add the text into the timeline. Here, you can access the inspector controls at the interface’s bottom panel.
- You will see a button marked as T, which adds the text into the video.
- Look for the appropriate text style and size.
- As for the positioning, you can lower or place the text into the center of the video.
- Once you are done, you can tap on the Done button and save the changes that you have made.
So, you have successfully received an answer on ‘how to add text to iMovie.’ As for Android users, you can also do the same with the help of other video editing apps that are similar to iMovie. You can check out our picks to the top alternatives for iMovie for Android devices.
While iMovie is one of the top video editing software brands, it can prove to be a bit complicated for some users, especially the ones who are using video editing software for the first time. They might even find a simple task like how to add text to iMovie quite challenging. In this case, we would like to suggest another video editing software called Wondershare Filmora; this editing software will help you add texts in your videos in a much easier way. While the video below has been recorded in the Windows operating system, the steps of doing the same are similar for Mac devices as well.
You can also refer to the steps mentioned below for Mac users. You will have to download the Filmora software for Mac devices first.
Follow the steps mentioned here to know how to add text to iMovie.
- First, you need to click on the Import Media button on the editing interface of Filmora and upload the video where you want to add the text. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop the video on to the interface as well.
- Once you added the video to the interface, you need to click on the Text icon on the panel’s left side. Here, you can choose different options like the text effects and drag it to the timeline. Adjust the position of the text on the correct video scene.
- You need to double click on the text on the timeline, which will then open up a window where you can customize the actual text, font, text color, etc.
- Once you are done and happy with the text on the video, you can click on the Export button to save the final video. Once the video has been exported, you can upload it on sites like Vimeo, Facebook, YouTube, etc. to share it with your family and friends.
Also, there are many different text effect packages available on the Filmora Effects Store. To know more on how to add text in iMovie, you can simply watch the video below and check out the contents with your own eyes.
Other software that can add text to your video
While the two mentioned above are some of the best software that can help you add text to your video, there are also other different software that can help you with how to add text to iMovie like:
Originally developed by Microsoft, this software will allow you to add text to your video. You will see various text templates that can be added to your video file. You can change the size of the text, color, and font. Adding a text to the video is the best way to highlight the message of the video. You can also add texts in different positions according to your preferences.
Video Studio is another video editor that can help you add text to your videos. The software is extremely easy to understand and use. All you need to know are the places where you want to add the videos and then drag the text to the position. Video Studio also offers you many different templates that you can use. You can also make different changes around the text like changing its styles and font, edit the format, etc.
While Animoto is not exactly a software, the online tool is widely used to add text into the video. You do not have to download it. All you need to do is log in with your credentials, import the video, and add the text. You can change the style of the text according to your own liking. If your video is happy and young, you can easily choose a funny text template to add in the video. Based on the style of your video, you can choose the text template. You can also add text animations to make your video stand out.
The Bottom Line
So, the above are just some of the many ways that can teach how to add text in iMovie and Wondershare Filmora. Depending on the version, there are some steps that might seem different on your devices. Hence, it is always recommended that you make sure that you run the latest version. If you want to edit the texts in an advanced way like animate the effects, Filmora for Mac is a great choice!