Back in 2017, Apple introduced a new password system for third-party apps that use iCloud. This Apple app-specific password creates an added layer of security on your privacy.
Why is Apple app-specific password introduced?
The purpose of introducing Apple app-specific password is to make sure that your Apple ID isn’t compromised. Even if you use third-party apps, your privacy will remain safe as a result of this new password system. As of today, we can hardly limit ourselves to the built-in Apple apps, and we use many third-party apps. Therefore, using Apple app-specific password is a really important aspect. Be it an email app, a content manager, expense calculator or anything else; it’s going to be really handy. An app-specific password will keep you away from various potential threats.
In order to create Apple app-specific password, you should implement a two-factor authentication system. In fact, two-factor authentication and two-step verification are two different things which you shouldn’t misunderstand.
You should remember that in the event of changing your Apple ID, all the app-specific passwords will be revoked. In that case, you will have to create a new app-specific password for all the apps once again. Should you need to Update Apple ID Settings, just click it.
How to create an Apple app-specific password
In this section of our article, we will explain how to create Apple app-specific password.
1. To do that, you should first go to Appleid.apple.com using any web browser of your preference. Then, you should use the credentials of our Apple account. After that, you should verify your identity using two-factor authentication. Once you have done that, you should go to the security section. You can then select the option called Generate Passwords.
2. However, if you cannot find an option to generate app-specific passwords, you will have to go for two-factor authentication. This is a different process compared to two-step verification (as mentioned earlier).
3. Now, you should enter a label for the password. Make sure that the label should give a clue of the app for which the password is created. For instance, if you create a password for the mail app, you should label it something like “Mail“. Then, you should select “Create“.
4. Now, you should copy the app-specific password that you have generated.
5. You can now launch the respective app that is associated with the created password.
6. Now, you can paste the respective app-specific password into the password field (which requests your iCloud password).
7. At this point, the password will be synchronized with the app. Whenever the respective app requires to access iCloud, this password will be utilized. Whenever you need to enter the iCloud password once again when using the respective app, enter this password.
As a result of this approach, the app will not be able to access the iCloud app without a password. So, you don’t need to worry about potential attacks that might compromise your privacy.
Viewing the list of Appl app-specific passwords you have created
As per Apple, you can store a maximum number of 25 app-specific passwords simultaneously. The list of passwords you have generated so far can be viewed for your convenience. You can go through the list and see if you still need those passwords or not. Although it doesn’t let you see the real password, you have the option of viewing the label of it. Moreover, it also lets you see the date you have entered the specific password. Well, listed below are the steps you should follow in order to view the passwords that are stored. Get the fixes here if Your Apple ID Has Been Disabled.
1. Firstly, go to the link Appleid.apple.com using any web browser of your preference.
2. Then, you should access the Apple account providing the credentials.
3. You can then verify the identity using the two-factor authentication system.
4. After that, you can go to the Security section and select the option Edit.
5. You can now go to the “View History” option which is located under “App-Specific Passwords“.
6. You can now see all the labels on the ever app-specific password that is created.
7. Go through this list and determine if there are any passwords that are no longer required. This is a good approach for those who need to clear up the passwords that aren’t used anymore.
Revoking Apple app-specific passwords
After going through the list of passwords as mentioned above, you can determine the passwords that aren’t used anymore. Then, you can revoke the useless passwords so the respective app won’t have any access to iCloud anymore. Nevertheless, if you need to use the same app once again, you should come up with a new Apple app-specific password. If you need to Remove iPad Account Without Password, here is the best method.
Mentioned below are the steps you should take in order to revoke Apple app-specific passwords.
1. First, go to the link Appleid.apple.com using a web browser of your preference.
2. Then, make sure that you enter the credentials of the Apple account to access it.
3. You should now verify the identity using the two-factor authentication system.
4. You can find the Edit option under the Security section; click on it.
5. You can now select “View History” option which is located under “App-Specific Passwords” section.
6. Define the password you need to revoke and select “Remove” icon located next to it. In fact, this option looks like an X so you can find it easily.
7. To confirm the action of revoking the password, you should select Revoke option.
8. At the completion of the process, you can click on Done.
Things to consider when using third-party apps on iPhone
Due to various reasons, we have to use third-party apps on our iOS devices. Although many of the third-party apps are exceptionally useful, some of them can be harmful. Some of these apps can contain malware while others can steal your personal information. Therefore, you should be very specific when using third-party apps on your iPhone. Here are some of the important aspects you should consider with third-party apps.
- Always download third-party apps from a reliable source. In fact, most of the threats are associated with apps that are downloaded from random sources. This is why you should download third-party apps that are developed for official Appstore. That is a safer approach as opposed to downloading such an app from an unofficial source.
- Although Apple is generally considered to be safer, that doesn’t mean that they are invincible. So, it is better to have an antivirus app installed on your iOS device for the sake of safety. Even if you have downloaded a third-party app which can be harmful, the risk can be minimized with antivirus.
- If some app requests you to jailbreak your iPhone or iPad, don’t install it unless you’re an expert. If you jailbreak the device, it becomes vulnerable to various external threats. So, try to keep your iOS device in its original form.
Well, those are the security tips we have to provide about installing and using third-party apps on iOS Devices.
We hope now you have a good understanding of creating Apple app-specific password and its uses. Please do remember that this feature is added to Apple for your own safety.