What if your virus guard says your computer is infected with IDP.Generic?
Should you just ignore it? Or, take immediate action to get rid of it?
Let’ find it out. The good news is that it could be a “false positive.” But, on the contrary, it could also be a trojan! Well, you can read this article carefully and learn everything about it. IDP.Generic is a pretty common warning that often comes from certain virus guards that are outdated. For instance, both AVG and Avast can show this “false-positive” warning if you haven’t updated them for a while.
If that is the case with you, the solution is very simple. Just update the virus guard, and that’s it. However, there are other instances in which your virus guard detects a real virus. Needless to say, immediate actions should be taken to prevent further damages. Basically, there are some important things to consider before determining whether the IDP.Generic virus is real or not.
Introduction to IDP.Generic Virus
As you can rightly guess, IDP is an abbreviation. It stands for the term “Identity Detection Protection.” It means that the virus is trying to grab the identity-related information from the user. For instance, it is trying to acquire information like banking, credit card, or other high-sensitive information. The odds are as follows.
01. DP.Generic can be a false positive alarm because of a fault in your virus guard. That means the virus guard suspects a regular app as a trojan just because it doesn’t know about it. This happens mainly because you have not updated the antivirus program for a pretty long time.
02. It can be a trojan virus that can steal sensitive information from your computer. These trojans can even steal money from your online bank accounts. In addition to that, they can even take the fullest control of your computer system.
If the IDP.Generic is false positive, needless to mention that you don’t need to worry much. Your hard drive has a generic file that cannot be recognized by your virus guard. If your antivirus program is outdated, it cannot identify newer files you install on the system. As a result, the antivirus program will quickly rate suspicious software for the greater good. Then, it will prevent the file from launching, so errors will occur constantly.
The functionality of IDP.Generic Virus
If the second instance is true with you, you must be very serious about how you handle it. A trojan attack is something that can cause significant damage to your computer and, more importantly, to your identity. Basically, trojans operate from the background, and they cannot be detected by the naked eye. They can intercept all the inbound and outbound traffic on your computer. Also, it can read your emails, your online accounts, and even corrupt the system files. The most dangerous thing about IDP.Generic virus is that they can track your passwords as well. Apart from that, there can be various other dangers associated with IDP.Generic viruses, so that is alarming.
There are some instances in which users get IDP.Generic virus through email attachments as well. So, you must be very careful when downloading attachments that come, especially through new emails. In fact, we strongly suggest that you don’t download the attachments that come from unknown senders.
How to identify IDP.Generic virus?
One of the most common characteristics associated with trojan viruses is that they operate in stealth mode. As a result, you will not be able to identify the program with the naked eye. In fact, a trojan can be identified through a powerful and updated antivirus program. So, if you don’t have an antivirus installed in your PC, you hardly have a chance to identify IDP.Generic. If you cannot identify it as a false positive alert, you must know how to remove it.
How can your computer be infected by an IDP.Generic virus?
In general, all the trojan viruses can get into your computer system in various ways. For instance, it can come with the software you have downloaded from a random website. If not, it can come with an email attachment you have downloaded without thinking further. Or, it can come through a popup ad on which you clicked. In addition to that, don’t underestimate the possibility of the virus coming through a USB storage.
Once the trojan virus is installed in your computer (without your knowledge, of course), it automatically goes stealth-mode. While operating in the background, it can exploit potential loopholes in regular programs that are already installed. Also, it can download various other malicious programs into the computer without your consent. Moreover, it can track down your passwords and log-in information for all the online accounts (including bank accounts).
Are you using resources like torrents and other similar types of tools to download files? If so, your chances of getting exposed to IDP.Generic virus is huge. The same type of risk is associated with free hosting sites and sites that offer freeware.
It is true that most of the popup ads appear very innocent. However, clicking on a popup ad (especially the buttons) can download various malware on your computer. The most dangerous thing associated with this system is that the malware becomes totally invisible. You cannot notice any icon or a programming tool unless you scan it with an updated virus guard. They can run in the background in stealth mode and then collect all the data. So, learning how to stay away from viruses and removing them once infected is very important.
How to remove a virus?
Without a doubt, the most effective way to remove malware from a computer is by using a powerful antivirus. A good antivirus program can check for potentially malicious software and eliminate them after a scan. It’s true that an antivirus program can tackle all those issues, but the scan will be a lengthy process. Nevertheless, there are a couple of other options as well if you want to remove malware from your system.
01. Never forget the possibility that IDP.Generic virus can be a false positive due to an outdated antivirus. So, you should simply update the antivirus program to the latest version before everything else. As a result, the antivirus program will be able to find if real threats are there. If the warning is still persisting, the chances are that the threat can be real. So, you should take some additional measures to get rid of the virus as soon as possible.
02. In certain cases, IDP.Generic warning can rise if you are using an outdated Java version as well. If you are not 100% sure if that is the case with you, you may remove Java first. Then, you can completely reinstall the new version of Java, so it should fix the issue.
03. You can also try to remove IDP.Generic virus using a manual method if you prefer. To do that, you should uninstall the apps that can have viruses. However, you should do it one-by-one. Regardless of the operating system, you can uninstall any program you have installed on the computer.
After removing the suspicious programs, you must run a virus scan to check if the problem is gone. Please note that this process is not as easy as it sounds. Identifying the exact program that is associated with a virus can be very difficult for anyone. To make it worse, trojans can even be linked to multiple programs. As a result, you will have to uninstall every one of them.
04. If you are still experiencing the problem, you are left with the option of performing a System Restore. A system restore is a process that allows you to return to an earlier stage on the computer. So, you can go for a stage in which you didn’t have the virus. It is better to pick a period in which the computer was functioning perfectly.
How to keep IDP.Generic virus away from your computer?
As you might have heard, prevention is better than cure. So, you must know how to protect your computer from virus attacks like IDP.Generic. Mentioned below is a list of preventive measures.
● Update your antivirus program on a regular basis
If you can keep your virus guard up-to-date, it can identify and catch even the newest threats. In addition to that, it is a very handy initiative to avoid false positives as well.
● Never open emails from suspicious unknown senders
You should never open emails that look suspicious. Also, you must prevent opening the attachments on those emails unless you know the sender and the purpose.
● Avoid downloading pirated software
Some individuals tend to download pirated software. That is a very risky approach because the majority of that pirated software comes with different types of malware.
● Avoid suspicious websites
If you find a suspicious-looking website, leave it as soon as possible without navigating to options. Instead, you should stick to well-known sources only.
Don’t open banner ads. Usually, websites that have a large number of annoying banner ads can be very risky.
So, that’s all about IDP.Generic virus, how to identify it, and how to protect yourself from it. If you have further questions, please let us know.