Have you also been experiencing PC crashes, system freezes, and several other problems due to the steam error code 105? These have been happening due to the crashing of the Steam app itself, which is a gaming distribution platform of the Valve Corporation. Game lovers rely upon this app for the buying and downloading of so many popular games.
Now, this app has been facing launching troubles due to the above-mentioned error, as reported by users. We are going to look into the causes of it and suggest you ten best fixes for the same.
What is the reason behind the steam error code 105?
Well, there is not just one:
- Faulty or slow internet network
- Ad Blocking applications that run on the browsers or operate independently on the PC
- Corrupted DNS settings
- The problem in Steam Client itself
- Error in the Windows OS
We will be taking these issues and provide solutions to them one after the other in the following article. Read on.
Fix 1: Restarting the Internet Router to Fix Steam Error Code 105
The steam app uses the internet to operate, and there are high chances that an unstable or slow internet connection might hinder its elements from functioning properly. This can be fixed by re-initializing the modem or the router.
Press down the button of Reset that is there in some of the routers. It’s easy as you just have to locate the button and press it.
If your router doesn’t have the Reset button, then just plug its power cord out and, after some time, plug it back into the power outlet.
Try to run the Steam app once again.
Fix 2: Delete the Cookies and Cache of the Internet Browser
These are the files that turn to get corrupted when piled up for a long time and cause various errors like steam error code 105 too. Let’s see how to fix it:
- Open the Start menu.
- Now open the section of History inside this Window.
- Here, click the tab of Clear browsing data.
- You will then see the options of Cached images and files and Cookies and other site and plugin data. Tick the boxes against both of these options.
- There will be the tab Clear browsing Data as the end of the page. Click on that now for confirming the action.
- This will delete all the browsing data along with the cache and the piled-up cookies.
- Restart the browser.
Fix 3: Turn the Firewall settings of the browser off to fix ‘Steam Error Code 105’
Let’s see the steps for it:
- Hit a click over the Start menu on the PC.
- In here, click over the option of Control Panel.
- Select the option Windows Firewall.
- Now you will see an option of Turn Windows Firewall on or off. Hit a click over that.
- Now there will be the tab of Turn off Windows firewall (not recommended). Tick the box against this option.
- Hit the button OK for saving these changes.
This will probably stop the steam error code 105 from emerging on the PC screen again.
Fix 4: Remove the AdBlocker app to fix ‘Steam Error Code 105’
Such apps sometimes interfere with the Steam Client’s functionality. We will then look into uninstalling such apps for good. Let’s see how:
1. Press the keys Windows + R and then enter appwiz.cpl into the box that pops-up.
2. Look for the ad blocker app on the emergent list. Hit double-click over the option.
3. Follow the prompts as they keep appearing on the screen.
4. Wait for the uninstallation to finish.
Check for the removal of the steam error code 105.
Fix 5: Disable the add-on of ad blocker to fix ‘Steam Error Code 105’
These add-ons exist inside the browser, and we will be removing them with this method. Let’s see the fix for different browsers to remove the steam error code 105:
1. Hit the top-right option of Menu.
2. Select More tools from this list and then click over Extensions.
3. Here, toggle off the bar in front of the ad blocker.
1. Hit the top-right option of Menu.
2. In the resultant list, select the option of Add ons.
3. Find the extension Ad Blocker and click over it. Hit the button of Disable next to it.
1. Click on the top-right icon of Settings on the browser page.
2. Select the option Extensions.
3. Find the extension of the Ad Blocker and then hit a click over the option Disable next to it.
Try running the Steam Client after you finish these processes.
Fix 6: Set a different DNS server to fix ‘Steam Error Code 105’
There can be a situation where the DNS configurations might have got changed or corrupted, causing the steam error code 105. Let’s follow the steps to prevent this:
1. Firstly, find the Connection tab.
2. Once you see it, hit a right-click over the tab, and then from the resultant list, select the option of Status.
3. Here, click the button Properties.
4. In the window of Properties, you will find the option of Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Click on it and then tap the option Properties.
5. Then, you have to click over the option of Use the following DNS server addresses.
6. In the space the comes up, enter the following information-
- Preferred DNS server > 184.108.40.206
- Alternate DNS server > 220.127.116.11
7. Now tap the button Apply changes so that every change that you made gets functional. Lastly, click the button, OK.
The servers, which we gave above for you to change the original ones with, are verified by Google. They are going to make your internet browsing excellent, much better as well.
Fix 7: Clean out the DNS for any cache
The steam error code 105 can be fixed by choosing to initiate the DNS settings. Let us tell you how to do that:
- Press the keys Windows + R together. The run dialogue box will prompt up now.
- Enter cmd into that box and then hit the button Enter.
- This will result in the launching of the window of Command Prompt.
- You have to enter the following command into this window-
- ipconfig /flushdns
- Hit the button Enter now. You will have to be patient for the time being until the process is completed.
- Once all of it is done, exit all the tabs.
Check that the Steam Client has got error-free or not.
Fix 8: Change the settings of the Internet Proxy Server
The Proxy settings of the Internet connection also play a role in causing various errors, including the steam error code 105. It is very important to ensure that the proxy server of your internet connection is working properly.
However, if you think that the proxy server itself is being the source of the problem, then here is a guide on how to disable it:
- Open the browser Google Chrome.
- Select the tab Settings.
- You will see the option of Show Advanced Settings here.
- Hit the tab of Change Proxy Settings.
- In the resultant window, you will see the option of LAN settings. You have to tick off the box against the option. Use a Proxy server for your LAN.
- Exit the tab now.
This was it, and the solution might fix the error completely.
Fix 9: Reset the IP/TCP to fix ‘Steam Error Code 105’
These are the acronyms for Internet Protocol and Transmission Control Protocol, which regulate the internet connections and certain relevant elements of the system. You can try resetting these IP/TCP configurations and let us tell you how:
- Hit a click over the Start menu to launch it.
- Open the Command Prompt by searching for it through the search box.
- Click on the relevant option. Now enter the following command into the window of Command Prompt-
- netsh int tcp reset resettcpip.txt
- Lastly, hit the button Enter.
By the end of the process, your Steam app will be error-free.
Fix 10: Delete the file of System Host from the PC
Here, we look for changing the permissions to the Host files. Let’s see how this is going to remove the steam error code 105:
- Click over the Start menu.
- Open the folder My Computer. Go into the folder of Local Disk (C:).
- Select the folder Windows and open the folder of System32 in here.
- Here you will have to open the folder of Drivers. Find the file Hosts and hit double-click over it.
- Inside the list, hit on the tab Security.
- Now choose the option Administrator (PC).
- Upon clicking it, select the option of Edit from the results.
- Next, you will see the pop-up of Permission for hosts emerging on the screen.
- You have to tick off every option present in this window.
- Click on the tab. Apply for saving these changes and hit the button OK, lastly.
After the process finishes, the Steam app will normally get functional again.
So that was all about the fixing of the steam error code 105 for you. You can rely upon these methods for sure results as all of them are tried and tested ones. Look into the cause for the error and then apply the relevant fix to it. We look forward to hearing from you about the experience, so please leave your comments in the box below!