Have you come across “this song is not currently available in your country or region” message? If so, here, we will explain what to do with it.
Well, Apple Music gives you access to more than 50 million songs. However, not all of them are available in all countries and regions. Many users say that their iOS devices show this message when they try to play their music library. If you experience “this song is not currently available in your country or region” issue, read the following fixes.
What triggers “this song is not currently available in your country or region” message?
Well, “this song is not currently available in your country or region” issue can appear due to various reasons. If you see the Apple Music or iTunes library in gray, it could be due to the following reasons.
This is a widespread issue with a lot of potential causes. If songs in your Apple Music or iTunes library are grayed out, saying they’re unavailable to you, it’s probably down to any one of the reasons below.
01. The song you try to play is not licensed to your country or region
This could be the most common reason for this error to appear, although there are plenty of other reasons. In general, Apple offers more than 50 million songs, but the library has some exceptions.
You must know that Apple’s services have some restrictions on their services. So, you should visit Apple’s official website and check if your country is under the restricted list.
Some songs are licensed for worldwide distribution. However, even they can display this error message if your country’s government applies censors on it. Regardless of the case, it is not possible to listen to those songs unless you leave the country. In that case, using a VPN and changing your country virtually will be the solution.
02. Apple Music finds it impossible to match the respective song to the database
When you add music to the library through Apple Music, it tells the device to stream or download it. So, the respective music file will not be corrupted, and you can expect better download speed.
The same scenario is true when it comes to importing music. Both Apple Music and iTunes search for the music you need through Apple’s database. Then, if the correct version is not found, it will direct the device to that version. However, it doesn’t happen if you import original music for which there is no alternative.
The problem with this is that your device is prone to be confused due to a database update. Sometimes, uploaders can change their metadata on their music (like song’s name, composer, released year, lyricist, etc.).
As a result of the changed metadata, both Apple Music and iTunes will struggle to match the songs. Your device will start to assume that the respective song is not available for your country. That is exactly when the “this song is not currently available in your country or region” message appears.
03. A bug on Apple Music or iTunes
There are many instances in which Apple releases faulty software updates. As a result of those faulty updates, various issues can trigger and slow down the performance. In general, software updates are introduced to fix potential issues. However, they can be troublesome if they come with bugs.
If the issue has occurred due to a bug, there is bad news about it. That means it will take some time to fix the issue (until they release a new update).
What are the fixes to solve “this song is not currently available in your country or region” issue?
You might have realized that there are a couple of reasons for this issue to trigger. Therefore, we intend to explain a couple of different ways to fix it.
01. Turn off your VPN service and check the licensing of your current country
We explained that the licensing rights would change from one country or region to another. So, you should check if the respective song is licensed for your country or not. Sometimes, the issue can trigger even when you are in the home country. That could happen if you are using a VPN on the iOS device. So, you should disable the VPN and try to play those songs once again. If it works, make sure that you edit the settings of your VPN, so internet access is local.
Disabling your VPN on an iOS device
- Just option the “Settings” and switch off the VPN button located on top of the screen.
Disabling a VPN on a Mac
- First, you should go to System Preferences and choose Network.
- Select the VPN through the sidebar.
- Click on “Disconnect.”
Disabling VPN on a PC
- First, you should go to “Settings” and choose “Network & Internet.” Then, choose “VPN.”
- Now, you should select the option called “VPN Connection.”
- Click on the option called “Remove.”
02. Quit the apps on the faulty device and restart it to fix ‘This Song Is Not Currently Available in Your Country or Region’
For many users, this solution has worked. The best thing about this method is that it is very easy and doesn’t cost anything. Moreover, restarting your device can refresh its functionality and resolve its other minor issues as well.
Restarting an iOS device
- First, you should double-tap on the Home Button (or swipe up from the bottom).
- Then, push all the open apps and close them.
- Now, press and hold its Side button with any of the volume buttons.
- Once a message is prompted, slide and power off the device.
- Wait for about 30 seconds and restart the device.
Restarting a Mac
- Use “Command” + “Tab” keys simultaneously to switch to the next open app on your Mac.
- Use “Command” + “Q” keys simultaneously to close the active app.
- From your menu bar, go to the option called “Shut Down.”
- Now, confirm if you want to shut down the Mac.
- Wait for about 30 seconds and restart it.
Restarting a PC
- Close all the application windows by clicking on the “X” button on them.
- Go to the “Start” menu & choose the button of “Shut Down.”
- Confirm your action.
- Wait for about 30 seconds and restart the PC.
03. Check if there are new software updates to fix This Song Is Not Currently Available in Your Country or Region
As mentioned before, there can be software bugs that could prevent music from playing. As a result of that bug, Apple Music and iTunes will misread the song’s information. Then, it will suggest that the respective song is not available. This could be fixed by removing the bug (by updating the software).
Updating the software on iOS devices
- First, you should connect the device to a solid internet connection.
- Now, you should go to “Settings” and choose “General.” Then, go to “Software Update.”
- Download and install the available software updates.
Updating the software on Mac
- Connect the Mac to a solid internet connection.
- Launch “System Preferences” and then go to “Software Updates.”
- Download the available software updates (if any).
Updating iTunes on your PC
- Please connect your PC to an internet connection.
- Launch iTunes and then click on “Check for Updates.”
- If not, check for new updates in the Microsoft Store.
- Download the updates that are available and install them.
If the issue is not fixed through the software update, you should follow the steps below.
04. Reset Apple Music’s and iTunes’ warnings and synchronize the device
A large number of users fix this issue simply by resetting the warnings in iTunes or Apple Music. Then, they should resynchronize the devices. Well, this approach will trigger a couple of alerts, but that will make the music available for you.
You should remember not to synchronize your device through Wi-Fi. Also, be sure to use an original cable provided by Apple. Third-party accessories can create potential malfunctions during the process.
Resetting the warnings in Apple Music and iTunes
- First, you should launch Apple Music or iTunes on the computer.
- For Mac users, please go to Music/iTunes and then go to Preferences.
- After that, go to Advanced.
- For PC users, please go to Edit and choose Preferences. Then go to Advanced.
- Click on “Reset Warnings” and click on “OK.”
Synchronizing the device using Apple Music or iTunes
- Connect the respective device with your computer using a genuine cable.
- Keep the device unlocked and awake. Also, have it on the Home Screen.
- If you are using a macOS Catalina or newer, launch Finder and choose the device from its sidebar. It is under the “Locations.”
- If you are using macOS Mojave or older, launch iTunes and choose the device from the window.
- Now, click on “Sync” in the bottom-right corner and wait for the process to be completed.
05. Remove the music and add them again to fix This Song Is Not Currently Available in Your Country or Region
Does the “this song is not currently available in your country or region” issue persist even after those solutions? If so, you should try removing the music and add them back to the library. You can do it with the Apple Music feature. If not, you can sync the device to a computer.
Even the process consumes some time, using a computer to remove the music is the recommended method.
Removing and re-adding music on your iOS device
- Connect your iOS device to your computer.
- Keep the device switched on, and it should be on the Home Screen.
- For macOS Catalina or newer: select the device from the sidebar.
- For macOS Mojave or older (or PC): choose the device from the iTunes window.
- Choose “Music.” Then, deselect “Sync Music.” Turn off iCloud music as well. To do that, go to “Settings,” “Music,” and choose “Sync Library.”
- On the PC, click on “Sync.”
- Eject the device and turn on the “Sync Music” box. Choose music that should be added.
06. Sign out of features like Apple Music, iTunes, and iCloud
If the error persists, just sign out the features like Apple Music, iTunes, and iCloud on the device. After that, you should sign in and see if it works correctly.
On the iOS device
- To do that, go to “Settings,” choose the name and select the “Sign Out” option.
- Enter the credentials.
- Go to “Settings” and choose “Music.”
- Now, tap on the Apple ID and choose “Sign Out.”
- Wait for about one minute and sign in.
On a Mac
- Choose “System Preferences” from the menu bar and choose Apple ID.
- Hit Sign Out and then enter the password of the Apple ID.
- For macOS Catalina and newer: launch Apple Music.
- For macOS Mojave or older: launch iTunes.
- Go to Account > Sign Out.
- Sign in after about one minute.
On a PC
- Launch iTunes, go to Account, and hit Sign Out.
- Sign Out of the iCloud as well (if applicable).
- Sign In after about one minute.
If you are using iPadOS Beta or iOS 13, restore the software on the iOS device. In that case, the most recommended way is to use an IPSW file through a computer. Before you proceed, however, make sure that you create a backup of the data to iTunes.
What is an IPSW?
IPSW is the shortened form of iPod Software. However, this file can also be used for other iOS devices. It can be downloaded through various third-party websites.
Using an IPSW to restore the iOS device
- Connect your device to a computer using a genuine USB cable.
- Be sure to keep it on the Home Screen.
For macOS Catalina or newer
- Launch Finder and choose the device under the sidebar (which is under the locations).
For macOS Mojave or older and PC
- Launch iTunes and choose the device from its window.
- Create a backup of the device to the computer.
- Download IPSW for the beta version through a reliable third-party website.
- Launch it in iTunes and restore the device.
- Once it is restored, recover the backup.
So, that’s how to overcome this song is not currently available in your country or region issue.