The “World of Warcraft was unable to start up 3d acceleration” has been bugging a lot of players who absolutely love the World of Warcraft game as it hinders them at the beginning of the game itself. This issue is generally a result of bad graphical settings, faulty drivers, or system features like DirectX.
However, it is not to think that the issue is a very major one as we assure you that it can be fixed with quick and easy solutions. We are going to help you with that, and you just have to try whichever fix happens to work out for you.
Method 1: Try running the game with administrator status
This method is very popular with a lot of World of Warcraft game players for resolving all the related issues. Let us tell you how to start with this fix:
1. Launch the Steam app and log in to the user account.
2. Click the option Library from the list, select Games.
3. Hit a right-click over the option of the game world of war, which is facing the error. Click Properties.
4. Find the tab Local Files and then click it. Out of the four tabs, hit Browse Local Files.
5. This will open the window of File Explorer. Find the .exe file of the world of war game and then hit a right-click over it. Choose Properties.
6. Hit the tab Compatibility. You will see the option Run this program as an administrator. Tick the box against it.
7. Lastly, hit the tab Apply for saving the changes made and then OK.
Run the Stream app again. Check that World of Warcraft was unable to start up 3d acceleration error is fixed.
PS: let’s figure out how to troubleshoot the Steam Client Bootstrapper related issues and A device attached to the system is not functioning error easily.
Method 2: Updating the outdated video card drivers to fix ‘World of Warcraft Was Unable to Start Up 3D Acceleration’
As we have already seen that outdated drivers can cause various system troubles and crash any app. If you are not able to play the WOW game, then such drivers can be a potential cause. Now to troubleshoot them, follow this guide:
1. Launch the Start menu and then open the Device Manager.
2. Select the option Display adapters and then hit a right-click over the video card of the PC.
3. Now choose the options Uninstall Device and confirm any prompt that comes up after that.
4. Open the website of the manufacturer of your system’s graphic cards. Search for the relevant updates that suit your driver. Remember to check for their compatibility with the operating system of your PC’s Windows. You can do this with some level of computing skills and some time in hand.
Now, apart from this manual method, you can let a third-party to do the job completely automatically. So if you are short on time or impatient, then let us introduce a genius solution to you.
It recognizes any system automatically and thereby finds the appropriate drivers that will run smoothly. It makes you totally tension free since you don’t have to enter any info about the system which the PC is running upon. The method is totally error-free and wouldn’t download the wrong drivers for the system. It is better than the manual method since any mistake can happen from your end.
Now there are two versions of this software that you can choose from – a free version and pro. The Pro version has wider functionalities, and you will have to do just two clicks for accomplishing the job. Additionally, you would also excellent customer support, along with a money-back guarantee of 30 days.
Let’s see how Driver Easy works:
1. Download the software on any PC. Get done with the installation.
2. Launch the tool and directly hit the button, Scan Now. The software will get on the job immediately.
3. It will flag the problematic drivers then. Hit the button Update next to them and then install them rightly in the PC. This feature is available in the free version of Driver Easy. Alternatively, you can choose to click the button Update All, and that will do the driver updating job for the entire system. You will only be able to do this if you have got the Pro version.
4. Restart the PC for all the changes to get functional.
Re-open the game and see that World of Warcraft was unable to start up 3d acceleration is able to do that now.
Method 3: Use the repair tool of the Blizzard app to fix ‘World of Warcraft Was Unable to Start Up 3D Acceleration’
Blizzard, the designing company of the game, developed a repair tool themselves that aims at resolving the minor errors like World of Warcraft were unable to start up 3d acceleration. This solution worked great for a lot of users, and we hope that it will help you too. The results show up a bit late but will be very effective. Let’s see how to use it:
1. Open the app Battle.net from its default location or wherever you find it. Inside the app, open the pane of World of Warcraft game.
2. Hit the tab Options and then click on the button of Scan and Repair. This will kick start the process.
3. A prompt will emerge now regarding confirmation of the input action. Select the option Begin Scan.
4. Now you must know that during this process, you may have to re-download certain files and install them. This will be required after the repairing task finishes.
You are done. Re-open the game and see if it runs error-free.
By the way, let’s see how to fix the issue of Failed To Play Test Tone easily.
Method 4: Disable the Fullscreen Optimizations to fix ‘World of Warcraft Was Unable to Start Up 3D Acceleration’
The feature of Fullscreen Optimizations is an enabling one for the operating system of the PC. It then gets able to optimize the game’s performance while they operate in the fullscreen set-up. Now, disabling this particular feature worked well for many of the players when the World of Warcraft was unable to start up 3d acceleration.
Let’s see how to carry out the method:
1. Open the folder where you have stored the setup package of the WOW game. The default location of this folder is usually the Local Disk and the folder of Program Files inside it.
2. Open the game folder now and hit a right-click over the .exe file of the game. Click over the option Properties.
3. Hit the tab Compatibility now. You will see the option Disable fullscreen optimizations. Tick the box against this option.
4. For saving all the changes now, hit Apply.
Restart the PC and again try running the game.
Method 5: Update the DirectX software of the PC to fix ‘World of Warcraft Was Unable to Start Up 3D Acceleration’
If the World of Warcraft was unable to start up 3d acceleration, then there is one more method to resolve this issue with your favorite game. The DirectX software in your PC might be needing an update, and you have to facilitate that only.
For the latest Windows versions like 8, 8.1, and 10, you can update this feature directly by updating the Windows of the PC itself to its most recent version. However, for the older Windows versions like XP, Vista, and 7, you may be required to install a third-party installation package separately for updating this software.
All you need to do is visit the official website of Microsoft to learn more about the right method of installing the updated version of this software as it is different for every Windows OS.
Once you are done with the update process, restart the PC to set it into motion.
Method 6: Disable the SLI of the NVIDIA graphics card
SLI or Scalable Link Interface is an NVIDIA technology that optimizes the functioning of the video drivers in the system. Despite its utility, it doesn’t seem to go well with the game World of Warcraft. The logical solution that follows is to disable it. Let’s see how you can do that:
1. Open the control panel of NVIDIA. You can either find it in the default control panel or by double-clicking on the NVIDIA icon. Alternatively, right-click on the desktop, and you can find the option here.
2. Scroll and open the menu of 3d settings present in the left pane. Select the option Offset SLI configuration.
3. In here, click the option of Do not use SLI technology option and then hit tab Apply for making the changes functional.
Open the game and see what happened with the issue of World of Warcraft was unable to start up 3d acceleration.
Method 7: Carry out a full update of the Windows to fix ‘World of Warcraft Was Unable to Start Up 3D Acceleration’
Blizzards itself have associated much importance with the operating system that is thoroughly updated. The World of Warcraft game cannot be run properly if the Windows OS itself is outdated and has got any glitch. Now many users took it seriously and voila! Their issue was resolved.
Let’s see how to update the Windows OS manually if the auto-update feature is not working well:
1. Launch the Start menu. Select Settings (the gear icon).
2. Scroll and hit the tab of Update & Security here.
3. Now under the tab Windows Update, you will find the button Check for Updates. Click over it, and it will show any new available update.
4. If there is one, then the downloading process of that update will start automatically and also get installed.
For the users of even older Windows OS, follow the steps below for manual updating:
1. Hit a right-click over the button Start menu. Here, you have to click on the tab Windows PowerShell (Admin).
2. Now, if there is the tab Command Prompt in place of PowerShell in the PC, then look for it inside the Start menu. Hit a right-click over the result that you find. Give it the Run as administrator permits.
3. Now there are two different things that you have to do depending on what you were able to find out of the two steps above.
4. Those who found the PowerShell console, enter cmd into the bar. Wait till PowerShell switches to a cmd-window.
5. Then enter the following command into the cmd-bar and hit Enter lastly:
wuaucit.exe /update now
6. It will take an hour then to finish the process that will get started. Look for the proper application of the updates afterward.
That’s all here! We are hopeful that these fixes are going to mend your broken game and that World of Warcraft was unable to start up 3d acceleration will start working fine again. All of these tried and tested solutions and will give you assured results.