Why people are bothered with ‘Your DNS Server Might Be Unavailable‘ error? DNS, or as it is known as Domain Name System, is the place where the website that you have visited gets stored. By storing the address of the frequently visited sites, it will make the browsing a lot faster than making a direct connection to the website without any DNS address. So when you search for the domain name on the web browser, it will get forwarded to your DNS server, where the web browser will quickly grab the IP address from the DNS server, so the results that you will see on the screen will come in a much faster rate opting out for the traditional method.
But sometimes you will see an error such as your DNS server might be unavailable at the moment. In a computer, it is very common to see this error on the browser. Many users reported seeing this problem on their browsers. And they did what would a rational being do in this situation; they troubleshoot it to fix the problem. Troubleshooting this problem will only result in a different error. Instead of seeing the ‘DNS server might be unavailable‘ error, you will DNS server not responding code.
It can get pretty annoying to see a persistent error changing to another persistent error without giving any clue for you to work on. So what is the reason behind the error your DNS server might be unavailable on your browser? Here, we will go deep into what the problem is and how it occurs on your computer and how you are going to fix the problem.
This error can happen on a computer due to various reasons. Out of all the possible ones, the server facing an outage is the prominent cause of this error. But there are ways you can do it without having to restore your OS or uninstall the web browser. The methods mentioned below would help you fix your DNS server might be unavailable Error code off your computer. Just follow all the steps to the methods to achieve it without ruining the problem.
There are a variety of quick fixes you can try to fix the problem “your DNS server might be unavailable” problem that you are having on your system. One of the ways is changing the browser. The problem might be in the browser, see if changing the browser seems to solve the problem. If you are using Opera, you can switch to chrome, vice versa. Or you can start changing some configurations file in the firewall setting to solve the error, or you can reboot the router. As I mentioned before, the problem can happen for various reasons; it is up to you to cross one after one to get to the root of it.
Trying to open the same page on your mobile phone to see if the problem is in the router or the browser. If the website doesn’t open on your mobile phone, then the problem could be very well lying in the browser. This a check you can perform if you think the problem is coming out of your hardware aspect of the system. Once you tried all the steps and got nowhere, then you can switch to the next method on the line to fix the problem. Follow all the steps effectively for the complete removal of the problem.
Flushing the DNS server might be unavailable error through CMD might be the right way to fix the problem. Although CMD might look intimidating to some people who never used the app before ever on the computer. Don’t worry. The instruction here will be simple enough, so you can pull it off without any mess.
- First, you need to open a run. You can do that by pressing the Windows Key + R.
- Once run opens and types in ‘CMD.’ This is just one way of opening Command Prompt; you can also search command prompt on the search bar. Once you see it on the list, the press enters to launch.
- Here you will need to type all the codes without adding anything to the codes.
- You need to type in the above codes in the same order as it was written. Once you have entered all the codes, then it is time to reboot the entire system.
If you are facing a DNS server might be unavailable on your Windows desktop computer. Then you can use this method to get rid of the problem in a matter of seconds.
Now that you know how to flush the DNS on a mac, you can also do it on a Mac. The way you do that depends on the version of the Mac that your computer is running on. If you have a different version of the Mac installed on your computer. Then you need to input a different syntax on it to flush the “DNS server might be unavailable” error. The solution stays the same; it is the way to deal with it changes on the version of the Mac.
- First, just like CMD on a windows computer, where you need to open the Finder window;
- Once you are there, just make your way to the Applications, followed by Utilities, ending in the Terminal.
- Here you need to enter a lot of codes to fix the problem. Just make sure you don’t add anything else to the code or feature will not work on the system.
- If you are using macOS High Sierra enter – sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder; sleep 2; echo macOS DNS Cache Reset | say
- On macOS Sierra – sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder; say DNS cache has been flushed
- On macOS Mojave – sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder; sleep 2;
- On macOS EI Capitan/ Yosemite – sudo dscacheutil -flushcache;sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder; say cache flushed
- After inputting the code, press the Return to the key to enter the password, then you have to hit again. Once everything is done. Just wait for the audio alert clue to play in the background. This will flush the DNS on your system.
- Before ending the terminal, just clear your MDNS and the UDNS cache, you can do that by entering
- For the removal of MDNS cache, type – sudo discovery until mdnsflushcache
- For the removal of UDNS cache, type – sudo discoveryutil udnsflushcaches
If this doesn’t fix your problem, then you can move on to the next method.
Although the whole reason for antivirus is protecting the computer from different malware from attaching your system files, sometimes antivirus can start way more trouble than the malware would in the system. As would verify every information that your computer gets on normal usage, and check it to see if it contains any virus or not. This is a tight security check on everything that happens on your computer, but it will block out some of the necessary features too if it seems troublesome.
Check if you have more than two antivirus systems running in the background. If you then uninstall one of them, to see if it solves the “DNS server might be unavailable” problem. If it doesn’t, then uninstall all the antivirus software that you have installed on your computer. Disable some additional programs, then restart your computer. Normally windows feature Windows Defender; your computer is better off with this antivirus tool than getting a shady antivirus tool online.
- First, you have to launch your web browser; here, you have to enter the default gateway address to the URL bar.
- If you don’t know your default gateway address bar, you can know by opening on cmd. Please just enter “ipconfig,” then press enter. To see your default gateway.
- Login to your router. Then make your way to the internet account information. Here you have to reach the DNS server.
- Here, select the option of the internet protocol. And here you have to enter the address of the DNS server that you want to use in by replacing the current one.
- Google DNS server – 18.104.22.168 In IPv6, you have to use 2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844.
- Save the information, exit the router.
Fixing the “DNS server might be unavailable” error on the windows operating system is easier. You just have to navigate your way to the settings where you can make changes to the DNS server. If you are using Windows 10, you can just do that by simply clicking on the windows icon at the lower left of the desktop, and selecting network connection from there.
- Open up Run, press windows + R. Type in ncpa.cpl, and hit enter.
- This will open up the network connection window. Select the network adapter that you are currently using. Right-click on it, go to properties.
- Here look for IP version v4 or v6. Then click on the properties under the list.
- Click on the Use the following DNS server addresses.
- On the preferred DNS server: write in 22.214.171.124
- On the Alternate DNS server: Type in 126.96.36.199
- See if you entered the right code or not, then click on ok. And you are officially done with the tutorial.
As now you can tell, the reason why you see “DNS server might be unavailable” error is due to various reasons. If you follow all the methods mentioned above, you will find the right solution to fix the problem in a matter of seconds. Changing the browser, changing the DNS settings on the network adapter of the windows, or on the macOS will help you make your DNS service work again on the computer. So you can feel the faster experience of internet browsing than directly getting the response from the server.